Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Enjoying Some Creative Time

I haven't had much time lately to do much creating and I've missed it. I have two New Year's Resolutions... the first is to create art at least once a week and the second is to use the supplies I already have to do it.

Here's my start... Inky Fun Stampers technique of the month was "Technicolor Dye Inks".

This is a simple, yet beautiful way to make background papers.
Using watercolor paper, I sprayed the paper generously with water.
Then using a large, oval sponge that I had cut chunks out of, I inked up the sponge with different colors, sprayed it with water and applied it to my paper.
Let it air dry and Viola!
Beautiful backgrounds! I made this one by 'dabbing' the sponge randomly over the paper.

For this one, I started in the middle of the paper and then 'streaked' the sponge outwards.

Dabbing

Streaking

"Next Generation Stampers" list mom started us on a 'Background Journey' for 2008.
The first challenge was to make 'Shining Stones' backgrounds by brayering dye inks onto glossy white cardstock, spraying it with water and then applying a 'paint' of gold Perfect Pearls.
This is the first one I made and the only one I used a brayer on.
The gold probably shows up best in this scan.
I can't wait to use this background... I'm thinking an ATC. :0)

The rest of these were made by using a cosmetic sponge to layer the inks on the cardstock. This was just easier for me since I don't have a kaliedoscope inkpad and I really like the look of the 'mixed' inks. I was using a very thin 'paint' and although they turned out very nicely- the entire surface is shimmery gold- it wasn't quite the look I was hoping to acheive.

This pink is BEAUTIFUL.
I'm thinking of using it on Valentine's Day Cards or ATCs.

This one looks muddy, but in real life, it's stunning and very shimmery.

Hoping to get the look I desired, I made another batch with a very thick paste.

This is more of the look I was going for and am quite pleased with how these turned out.
This blue is one of my favorites.
I used a fan-type brush to "swirl" the gold paste on and it is fabulous!

I thought I'd see what happened if I omitted the water and this is what I came up with...
Different because there are no water spots, but still very pretty.
So... I had a very good time playing with this new technique.
Now to make my journal page!

4 comments:

Autumn Labbe-Renault said...

Hi Hope,

Your background are all lovely! Lots of fun playtime ahead for you!

Carol said...

These are gorgeous, you have a fantastic assortment you now have to play with.

Maggi said...

Beautiful! I, too, had so much fun creating - now I have a ton of backgrounds to use!

Rosie said...

Hope these are stunning backgrounds and I like the watercolour ones too! Will have to give it a go (a la Hope!!)